Best Blog Posts of 2016

favorites

Emma is the editor & creator (and occasionally writer) for The Messy Heads. She enjoys yellow curry, print media, and singing to herself.

154 posts published in 2016… Can you believe that. Thank you so much to all readers new and old who keep up with the blog and make these words mean something to you. I always get comments about how the blog has changed you in some way, but in truth it is YOU who went through that effort to stop scrolling through Instagram and read, YOU who read it all the way through, and YOU who reflected and made it mean something to you. I didn’t change you at all, you did.

Here are some of the best posts (reader and editors picks) that you might have missed that I really think you should check out. If you click on the link they will open in a new tab so click as many as you like and then read them through.

Comment your favorite post down below from the list or one we might have missed & what you would like to see more of from Messy in 2017.

Thank you SO MUCH for being on this life journey with us. Keep reading, keep creating, keep learning, and Stay Messy.

xo,

Emma

img_7479

30 Days of Journaling– Connect with yourself more. The best way to do that is through self reflection. Try this simple journaling exercise with prompts for everyday. You can write right when you wake up, before you close your eyes for the night, or at your favorite coffee shop. Get your friends in on it to- text them the prompt everyday in the morning as a reminder for both of you to write today. Share a response as an Instagram caption or a photo & tag us @Themessyheads.

15540011.jpg

Nude York– This is the story of how I ended up in New York City, in a railroad style apartment that I pay for, between a gelato store that serves olive green colored pistachio ice cream and a used bookstore with weathered spines perpendicular to each other.

bra1.jpg

Why I Don’t Wear a Bra– A cringeworthy synopsis of moving through puberty and worrying too much about boobs and how they looked to others.

social

Candid Convo about Consent-Sex, abusive relationships, female power, and forgiving yourself. + a 30 min podcast with me and my two best friends about sexual healing from past trauma.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.25.09 PM

How to Live a Happier Life– Little steps to make you happier, a thread of thoughts that will manifest positivity into your daily routine. They aren’t cliché, they aren’t hard to do. But they will change your perspective if you let them.

Attachment-1.png

Dead Men Can’t Catcall– What to say, or not say to let them know it’s not okay.

c

Body Image– How do you view yourself? Do you spend hours in front of a mirror, only focusing on the surface of who you are? Or do you spend your days on a yoga mat with a journal working on who you are on the inside?

JPEG image-88B38145604D-1.jpeg

Wait.. Who Am I?-When your personality is contingent on your environment, how do you find yourself?

gals

The Real World– Questioning what social media means to us and how we can use it to benefit us.

barmod2

Be a Better Person Challenge- 10 little ways you can become the best you possible.

27300029

Daily Bucket List– No excuses, no “I still have months to do this” but a 24 hour bucket list, to be accomplished every day.

15550025

Guide to Poetry- Emily shares her best poetry tips, get a pen, get some paper, get inspired!

Signature

1. I’d enjoy more sophisticated and mature subjects topics and writing please! Also, more long podcasts!

2. clara says

i enjoyed nude york the most 🙂 i hope that soon i can live in my dream city (berlin) too, just like you emma! you’re such an inspiration to me! love from germany

3. Ola Zurike says

More podcasts!! More interviews and film photos!! I’m so incredibly grateful I found the blog and wrote a post for it <3 So much love to the Messy fam, especially you, Emma.

4. Michelle says

Absolutely loved Nude York and Wait Who Am I? I always fall in love with pieces that transport me to a different place or mindset, and I’m so grateful to have a place like this to come to when I need a fresh perspective or some inspiration. Can’t wait to see what you bring to the table in 2017! If you’re up for it, I’d love to hear more podcasts from you! Much love xx

5. Anonymous says

Can u please post about ur college majors and minors? I also want to go to NYU, but I’m only a sophomore in high school. It would be really helpful to see what your interests are as we have similar tastes in lifestyles. By the way, I follow your blog actively and love your messages.

6. my favorite post(s) of the year were the paris diaries! I’ve been to paris once, and these blog posts contributed to my newfound dream of revisiting.
    I would love to see more book recommendation posts!

7. Anonymous says

I’d like to see a post about dealing with hate and negative people in high school and everywhere in general. It’s something I personally struggle with and a problem thousands of people deal with world over.

8. The Messy Heads was an amazing source of information this year! Emma, i can’t thank you enough for creating this safe haven filled with love, knowledge, and acceptance. Forever grateful i found this messy community. ❤❤❤

9. Ellen Torsteinsrud says

This blog have really changed my perception and opened my mind on many things. I would love if you started a podcast, as i loved the one you recorded about sexual consent. it was very touching and made me realize so many things i’ve let boys get away with.

It would be fun if you did more photoshoots, and i LOVE the one you and cybelle had at the beach a couple months ago.

10. Ellen says

11. I absolutely adored the Nude York post. The Messy Heads has definitely made an impact on my life & made me see things through whole new perspectives so I’d like to thank you for that. I also agree with Ellen, i would definitely tune in to a podcast of yours! Lots of love. Xx